Saturday, November 11, 2006

i hate thinking of a title

The thing about no longer having TV is that you don't find out about stuff. Important things like new movies, new pop stars, new reality tv shows.... and less important stuff, like elections, ecological disasters, wars, and evangelical upsets.

I mean, I finally get back online, and I'm reading about Ted Haggard. I'm thinking to myself, who the hell is ted haggard? Everyone else in the world knows what's going on with ted haggard but of course I have to run a google search because I just spent a week in a zero media black hole (not bad actually.... even peaceful).

Not too long ago this ted haggard business would have been quite upsetting to me, and I can understand why the humans involved are distressed but I wonder why this sort of thing surprises anyone anymore. Guess what everyone.... humans fuck up.... all the time, every one of us. It seems so contrary to me, the loving and forgiving example of Jesus and the knee-jerk reactions of His church. I have a lot of trouble reconciling the two, and I've concluded that the more common sin, the one we're all desensitized to, is the love of judgement, and everyone falls down every day. But who's to say which is worse, drugs and gay sex, or turning your back on the people who do drugs and have gay sex. For me, the gap is lessening. I was told a long time ago that Jesus' kingdom is an upside-down kingdom, and that tells me that the knee-jerk reaction is probably not the correct one.

Not too long ago, a friend of mine who was in a pastoral position confessed to sexual immorality and was promptly dropped on his head. It's a tragedy, really. Because out of all the humans in leadership in that prominent church, he's still the only one I respect. Not because he has all the answers or because he occupies holy ground but because he tells me the truth. Telling the truth is what lost him his job. It makes no sense.

It's strange to contemplate the situation from the fringes of faith. On the one hand I'm horrified by the...... wrongness??.... of it all, and on the other hand I'd be perfectly happy to see the whole structure come crashing down.

I hope that mr. haggard can work things out in his personal life, with his family, and that the people close to him will be supportive and selfless in their dealings with. I hope he doesn't find himself in Job's position, losing his kids and getting kicked by his friends. I hope that it's not too much to hope for.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've just finised reading martin zender's "flawed by design". i'd recommend you read it if you can get hold of a copy via amazon or whatever. it challenges orthodox sin theology in a very compelling way and hits the heart of our judgements of others - and ourselves. i'd also never heard of haggard before this story broke.

November 12, 2006 5:52 AM  
Blogger bruced said...

The problem is... Ted has taught his family to expect perfection from others, and to only accept others if they measure up to your expectations. He might well become a tragic end to his own beliefs.

November 12, 2006 8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah