Saturday, January 06, 2007

salsa

Growing up in sunday school, the bible was often compared to a recipe book. Supposedly, if you follow a recipe, your food should turn out just right. Similarly, if you follow the bible, your life should be pretty good too. Now, I've never been a fan of the cooking, or the baking, or basically any activity that takes place in a kitchen. So, whether this dubious analogy was accurate or not hasn't been of much concern to me.

Today I found myself in a difficult position: half a bag of tortilla chips, and all out of salsa. So I thought I'd look up a recipe for fresh salsa. I went to the store and bought all the ingredients, came home, put everything together.... and.....

Just barely edible. So there you have it. Reading the bible is nothing like making salsa. And I still hate cooking. I'll probably throw all that salsa away.

Reading the bible is more like reading a map, methinks, like a roadmap. It can show me how to get from Regina to Victoria, but it won't show me the ginormous mountain range in the way. If I want to know about the topography, I'll have to check out a different map. This is why I love National Geographic, they give you maps of everything, roads, topography, population, industry, even a map taken at night from a satellite, where all you can see is tiny lights congregating in places like new york and dispersing in places like the Congo.

If anyone has a good recipe for a nice fresh salsa (that works) I'd love to hear it. I still have leftover chips.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't cook and making salsa to me would be so damn hard I wouldn't even know where to start - sorry.

But the whole recipe and map thing - I guess someone could use those analogies for the coherence of scripture - I find either cool. Good post and hopefully someone can get you that salsa recipe before the chips go bad.

January 07, 2007 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah