Saturday, September 30, 2006

not the enemy

My parents are in town for the weekend, and so far so good.

I had lent my stepfather one of my copies of "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell, and rather than read it through he found a couple online articles to put the book down at every turn. I read the articles, at least most of them, and I find them to be without merit..... certainly perfectly justified according to orthodox christian doctrine, but when I say without merit what I mean is that the authors don't seem to have an original or interactive thought in their heads.

I am frequently baffled by the incredibly intelligent, well meaning lemmings out there, who can spar with a book page for page and still miss the point.

I think it's largely a result of my recent distance from fundamentalism, but it's become the most natural thing in the world for me to question the accuracy of any biblical concept, because I don't believe it to be inerrant. It has become natural for me to assume that christianity doesn't have it all figured out. It seems like the most ridiculous thing to me for anyone to claim they've got a monopoly on truth. It frightens me when people don't question the doctrine that rules their lives.

Quite frankly, I could go on forever about fundamentalism and the mob mentality that is modern christianity (in my jaded opinion) but I'm reminding myself tonight that christians are not the enemy.

After all, it's hard to accept paradoxes, and the unknown is frightening, and mysteries should always be resolved, right? I know where they're coming from, because I used to feel the same way. I guess the big question is how I can be one of them without being like them?

Let's face it, it is what it is. It's not likely to change anytime soon. Christianity is dependent on it's doctrine and I will always be a heretic. But the enemy is not religion, or the people who subscribe to them. The enemy is something else, something devious that dwells in the mind and seeks to divide us all. This is my idea of the gnostic "archons." But then I could very well be on crack.

Tonight the challenge seems insurmountable. How to corrupt the fundamentalists with a healthy dose of doubt. For their own good, understand. They're not my enemies.

3 Comments:

Blogger SocietyVs said...

"I know where they're coming from, because I used to feel the same way. I guess the big question is how I can be one of them without being like them?" (Ursa)

That's my exact conundrum at this point in my life too. I find myself questioning every thing they teach and question the doctrines they build by pulling scripture from one part of the book and then adding in other parts of the book (selective choosing of scripture).

I have a lot of doubts about the faith but not about God weirdly enough. I am trying to change the way they do church at this point in my life and also get them to question some of their beliefs (especially if they never question them...which is absurd to do). I notice I am not against the people either but I do notice I have a lot of leanings against the structure of church and responsiblity. Great blog and I think you are searching and finding truths as they were meant to be found, by looking for yourself!

October 01, 2006 10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Thanks for reminding me that it is not us vs. them. Something I too quickly dismiss and forget.

Just remember to always have hope for the lemming. Sometimes they wake up -- I did. It just took almost 3 decades for the awakening to happen. :D

October 02, 2006 8:01 AM  
Blogger Artem said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 20, 2008 6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah