Sunday, September 10, 2006

humans

I spent the day trying to see the divinity in people. Trying to peer through the shroud of humanity into the part of people that is eternal. Of course it's not visible, at least not to my eye, but trying to see them in that way changed the way I felt about them.

Normally I find humans quite irritating, but today less so. I even experienced.... affection... and interest. I think because viewing people as decieved divinity enables me to have compassion, and to wonder how they would react if they understood how special they truly are.

This is not a huge departure from "humans as children of God" theology with which I was raised.... it's just different enough from christianity to come across as heresy. I think that, through my reading into christian mysticism, I was heading this way already. When I think about it, it makes sense... the kingdom of God makes sense. Of course the kingdom of God is present wherever his people do his work.... of course we are his hands and his feet, of course feeding and clothing "the least" is the same as feeding and clothing Christ. Still, my training makes me balk at thinking of people as "God," and I feel that someting is missing.

I prefer to think that humans each have a piece of God in them, just enough that I suppose I could be justified in saying that they are indeed divine. As I was thinking about these things I was reminded about what it said in thomas, about making the outside match the inside. If you can find that piece of God inside, and bring your outside into submission to that.....

I'm too tired to finish that thought. I do know that I'd like to continue trying to see people in this way, as some extension of God, only deluded into thinking they are merely creatures on earth. With some people it's easier than others, but I think that compassion would be far less toxic than irritation.

I'll sleep on it. By the way, those of you who meditate..... do you ever find yourself feeling like you're tipped over sideways, only to open your eyes and realize that your still sitting straight up? Weird sensation.

7 Comments:

Blogger bruced said...

It's nice to have a theology that makes sense. Most of my life, it was important to me to "just have faith" so my mind could gloss over all the religious stuff that just didn't add up. I ended up having more "faith" in my faith than I did in God.

Those days are behind me now, and similar to you, I am seeing God and His creation in a whole new light. I believe that God left a piece of Himself (who, by the way is still, and always, connected to Him who is the source of our spirit) in each of us at the moment He first breathed life into our souls.

Most Christians won't understand this, because they have been taught (indoctrinated) to believe that they, and a few select others, have been somehow specially chosen by God to be His own. That makes no sense to me. Why would God create a worldfull of His own children, then select only a few to call His own. I am a dad. I know that is not possible.

September 11, 2006 6:38 AM  
Blogger SocietyVs said...

Hey, thanks for leaving me a comment on my blog (societyvs) and for adding me as a link (I added you). On my blog, oddly enough, is some people from a Mennonite church in Regina (JB Epistles and NorthVU - same crew). I read you profile and apparently the Mennonites did a number on you...these dudes I blog with are fairly nice. Anyways, good to meet you and I'll read your blog as much as I can (almost daily).

September 11, 2006 10:13 AM  
Blogger SteveW said...

I think that it is wonderful when we see God's love for us and His willingness to be part of us as great enough to remain even if we are heretics. In otherwise when we see His faithfulness as true even when ours fail.

Keep thinking outside the box.

September 13, 2006 9:59 AM  
Blogger bruced said...

So, what's next? What's on your mind, Ursa?

September 15, 2006 6:52 PM  
Blogger Chris Ledgerwood said...

You have some beautiful thoughts, thanks for sharing them. I will try to check in as often as possible.

Chris Ledgerwood

September 20, 2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger Don said...

Ursa, amazing how God works in His people at the same time. I made a commentment yesterday to look at people as Christ would, to see their spark/heart of God within. I have felt a desire to do this, but have found, like you, that it is difficult for me. Even so, I feel compelled to do it. I think it's an important part of my journey to Truth. Enjoyed your thoughts..........

September 21, 2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Doug Hoag said...

I'm a lot like you. I find most people to be nothing but thorns in the side, mainly because I was raised to think this way. Everyone was an idiot and a jerk. I'm trying to recover from this, and I like what you have written. It sounds quite a bit like the Eastern Orthodox view of humanity, that we are inherently divine. That would make each of us blessings instead of curses.

September 22, 2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah mystery messiah